The best way to prevent infection is to wash your hands often and well. This also includes anyone who comes to visit you and all of the staff looking after you.
Use soap, liquid hand rub or hand wipes to keep your hands clean.
Always clean your hands and ask others to clean their hands:
- when entering and leaving your hospital room
- before and after eating, touching food or feeding a patient
- after using the bathroom after sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose or wiping someone's nose.
Other important ways to help prevent infection include:
- not touching bandages, dressings or drips
- telling a staff member immediately if your intravenous lines, tubes or drains become red, swollen or painful
- asking staff if they have cleaned their hands – this is especially important before they touch your wound or intravenous drip. Our staff will not be offended if you ask
- asking your family, friends or carers not to visit if they are unwell.