available 24/7 for GPs or Mater VMOs
The Mater has an on-call roster of physicians who assist GPs or
Mater VMOs with:
- peri-operative evaluation
- post-operative care
- management of medical conditions.
Mater Physicians are available via the
Mater switchboard on (02) 9900 7300.
Mater physicians also offer a comprehensive range of sub-specialty expertise including endocrinology, cardiology, rheumatology, rehabilitation, respiratory and renal medicine. At any time our physicians can assist with inpatient and patients referred directly from doctors' rooms.
Pre-operative medical review recommended for patients:
- Aged over 70 years
- Overnight stay expected to be longer than two nights
- History of cardiac or neurological disease
- Erratic or poorly controlled hypertension or asthma
- Previous anaesthetic problems
- Greater than four medications
- Previous thromboembolic disease
- Anticoagulant medication
- Concern regarding surgical risk.